This is the print-friendly version of the following page:
[Return to original version]
The Marks family have been associated with the Queensland Museum since the first of their donations to its collections, from Charles Ferdinand Marks, in 1919. CF Marks was also responsible for a significant collection of indigenous items, comprising items relating both to Papua New Guinea and other Pacific islands, and to Australian Aboriginal people. His donation of July 1920 included both Pacific and Aboriginal material. The bulk of the Aboriginal collection was donated by him, but in following years other members of the family also contributed, including EO (Ted) Marks, EMB (Edris) Marks, AH (Alex) Marks and EN (Pat) Marks.
CF Marks’s major donation of July 1920 included 69 Aboriginal items. Further donations were made by EO (Ted) Marks (1 item in April 1930, another in August 1945, and another in April 1978), EN (Pat) Marks (9 items in April 1978, and a further 16 in January 1982.) Five items were also donated by AH (Alex) Marks.
The Marks Aboriginal Studies collection comprises 207 items. It includes weapons (such as boomerangs, spears and spear throwers, shields, swords, clubs), cutting tools (such as axe heads and adzes), food preparation items (such as grinding stones and firesticks), and food gathering items (such as nets, bags and baskets). Places of origin are not known for many of the collection, but it includes material from Acton Station (north of Richmond – 10 items); Aramac (seven items); the Balonne district (two items); Binna Burra, Beechmont, Candle Mountain, Cardwell, Marathon Station, Richmond, and Tambo (one each), and the Marks property at Camp Mountain, Samford (eight items).
The following items give a sense of the nature of the collection.
|QE1335||Hardwood club from the Balonne district|
|QE1342||Hardwood club from Aramac|
|QE1343||Hardwood club from Aramac|
The Senior Curator, Cultures, Customs & Country
PO Box 3300
SOUTH BRISBANE QLD 4101