QUT Home IFE Home

Marks Family Collections: Search Results

Search > Search Results

Your search returned 1 results:

Nymph 

Type:   Painting

Current Location: Queensland Art Gallery

Creator: KAUFFMAN, after Angelica

Description: Oil on wood panel, 41.2 x 30cm (oval). Curator's notes: Angelica Kauffman, a painter and etcher, was born in 1741 at Coire, in the
Grisons, where her father Johann Joseph Kauffman, was then painting. At an
early age she attained great proficiency in music and languages, and showed a
marked disposition for painting, in which she was instructed by her father; and
so rapid was her progress, that in 1754 the family removed to Milan, where she
spent her time in copying the works of the best masters. In 1757 her mother
died, and the family then went to Florence, and in 1759 to Rome, where her
talents excited the greatest admiration, and where she appears to have confined
herself chiefly to portrait painting. In 1764 she went to Venice, from whence,
in 1765, she came to England with Lady Wentworth, and was received with great
distinction; and on the foundation of the Royal Academy in 1768, she was
nominated one of the original thirty-six members. During her stay in England
she allowed herself to be entrapped into a clandestine marriage with the valet
of the Swedish Count de Horn, who imposed upon her as the Count himself. She
finally got rid of him by a payment of 300 pounds. In 1781 she married Antonio
Zucchi, a Venetian painter, and an Associate of the Royal Academy, and left
London a few days afterwards. In 1782 her father died, and in the following
year she retired with her husband to Rome. Her husband died there in 1795, and
she herself in 1807. She was buried in Sant'' Andrea delle Frate. The prints
after her works are very numerous, amounting to several hundreds. She
contributed eighty-two pictures to the Royal Academy between the years 1769 and
1797. She was twice painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds.
Extract from: `Bryan''s dictionary of painters and engravers'', G. Bell and Sons
Ltd, London, 1921, vol. III, p.124.

Gift of Dr Elizabeth Marks 1982

1:1813