Scholarships and awards
- Dr EN Marks Sustainability Award (ongoing)
- IFE Dr Elizabeth Nesta (Patricia) Marks Memorial Masters Scholarship (one-off)
The Dr EN Marks Sustainability Award is an annual award presented by QUT’s Institute for Future Environments to recognise QUT undergraduate students for the quality of projects that maintain the environmental integrity of the Samford Ecological Research Facility (SERF) and engage with the university and the wider community.
Each year, there is one overall winner for the Dr EN Marks Sustainability Award. The award is in the form of a $500 bursary and a perpetual trophy. The IFE Dr EN Marks Sustainability Award is presented at an annual ceremony attended by representatives from QUT and the Samford community.
Eligibility for nomination
Current domestic and international QUT students studying towards an undergraduate degree are eligible candidates for the award. Students who have displayed an ongoing high level of achievement in their studies and in service to the Samford community are also eligible. Students must be currently enrolled at QUT at the time of the nomination closing date.
IFE makes a call for nominations to relevant project supervisors annually (half way through Semester Two). Award nominations can be submitted by members of the QUT community and/or the wider community. Nominations can be made by a:
- QUT staff member
- QUT student
- member of the greater Samford community
- graduate of QUT and/or its predecessor institutions.
Students may only receive the Dr EN Marks Sustainability award once.
- QUT staff member
- Evidence of contribution to the University community eg. Through leadership on committees; peer assistance; or influence in student / university issues.
How does the nominee stand out in the University community?
- Evidence of professional and personal development activities (eg. Work experience; creative pursuits; interests; hobbies and goals).
Has the nominee demonstrated a commitment to their own personal / professional development?
- Evidence of academic achievement
- Evidence of relationship to SERF or Samford community.
Nominations will be judged by a panel against the selection criteria. The Dr EN Marks Sustainability Award judging panel may comprise of the following:
- IFE Executive Director
- IFE Project Manager
- Marks family representative
- Faculty representative
- Samford community representative.
In 2008, a QUT student was awarded a one-off scholarship to collate and document the extensive Marks Family collections and historic items. This online repository was established by Ms Madeleine Sternberg, who graduated from QUT with a Bachelor of Social Science majoring in Politics and History with a strong academic record. The result is published on this website.